Meet Claudetta Griffith, a student in the NLU Veterans Program

Claudetta picture 1Tell us about yourself.

I’m a retired veteran who served in the Navy for 22 years. I’m 40 years old, live on the South Side of Chicago and have two grown children. I’m working toward my undergraduate degree and plan to graduate in 2015. I’m currently studying Business Administration and Project Management and am not sure what career track I’ll take. I do know that I’m not going to earn my degree just to have it. I know that I want to be successful and make a positive impact in the community.

What was the most challenging part about returning to civilian and academic life?

My life had been pretty regimented for the last 22 years, and now that I’ve returned to civilian life, I need to adjust. People are more casual, and I’ve taken it upon myself to help them realize they need to be more accountable for their actions. It’s been a transition to “fit” in, but I’m feeling more confident.

Why did you select NLU?

I went to the Navy College Office and told them what my interest, goals and learning style were, and they said that NLU was the best place for me. I’ve taken online courses before, and from that experience, I learned that I needed to be in a classroom setting with other students and with a professor who I can sit down and speak with face to face to get help. I’ve been especially pleased with the classroom environment and professors at NLU.

How did you learn about NLU’s Veterans Program?

After the Navy College Office recommended NLU, I went online to research the University more. I saw all of the services that the Veterans Program offered and then made my decision! From the information I read, I felt like NLU really cared about its veteran students.

How has NLU’s Veterans Program helped you, as a veteran military student, the most?

I would say the initial help that NLU gave me to actually get admitted to school was what I found most helpful. They made sure I knew that they were there as a support base. They helped me connect with other student veterans too. I remember meeting Paul Knudtson, NLU’s Director of Armed Services Relations. He made me feel so comfortable and really listened to me. I didn’t feel like a number.

What should other potential veteran students know about NLU that they might not already know?

There are a lot of other veteran military students out there –- more than you’d expect. A lot of us veteran military students don’t know there are a lot of “us – military” out there and at NLU. We’re a family, so reach out.