Meet Rojah Wilkerson, a student in the NLU Veterans Program

Rojah WilkersonTell us about yourself.

I’m originally from St. Louis, and currently live in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago. I’m 24 years old. After I completed my undergraduate degree, I joined the U.S. Navy and was active for more than one year. Now I serve in the Navy Reserves. I recently enrolled at National Louis University and am pursuing a Masters in Science and Written Communication. I have about 1.5 years until I earn my degree. When I graduate, I’d like to pursue publishing and be a book editor or work in the public relations field.

What was the most challenging part about returning to civilian and academic life?

It was an adjustment getting back into the flow of studying, homework, papers, etc. Military life is very structured and civilian life isn’t. I have more free time and need to organize it and make better use of it. No one is giving me direction on what I need to do and when I need to do it.

Why did you select NLU?

NLU’s program was unique compared to the others I looked into. The other programs just focused on one aspect of writing, like publishing or editing. NLU encompassed many different aspects of writing to make me a better-rounded writer, which is what I was looking for in a program.

How did you learn about NLU’s Veterans Program?

I found out about the Veterans Program after I enrolled at NLU. Once I arrived in Chicago, I needed a job. The Career Development office at NLU got in touch with me, and connected me with the Student Veterans Association (SVA). Career Development also helped me find a position at Internships and Counseling (ICC) as a public relations intern.

How has NLU’s Veterans Program helped you, as a veteran military student, the most?

NLU’s Career Outreach Specialist, Emily, reached out to me and helped me find my current internship position. She has remained in touch with me and I know I always can contact her if I need any assistance at NLU. Emily is dedicated to working with veteran military students at NLU, which I’ve found to be really helpful.

What should other potential veteran students know about NLU that they might not already know?

NLU reaches out to you if you’re a veteran and really helps you with anything – jobs, discounts, benefits, etc. On the Chicago campus there is a dedicated Veterans Lounge for student veterans. It has food, chairs, computers, etc. I would say that NLU does everything possible to make your experience better and helps you achieve your goals.