What does Veterans Day mean to you?

veterans day 1
National Louis University salutes all military veterans who have served and continue to serve our country. Veterans Day is a public holiday held on the anniversary of the end of World War I (November 11) to honor U.S. veterans and victims of all wars. In recognition of the importance of Veterans Day, we asked one of our student veterans, “What does Veterans Day mean to you?”

"I served in the Marine Corps, and my twin sister and cousins currently serve in the military. I think many civilians do not really recognize Veterans Day. To many, it's just a day off of work or school. The meaning of this important holiday has been lost. Most people don't understand that once you sign a contract to be in the military, you essentially dedicate yourself to your country. It's really hard for a service member to be away from their home, family and friends. Military service members are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice of their lives, and I don't think that people really acknowledge and appreciate that -- especially on Veterans Day. I think that a way to honor or even remember our veterans would be a simple parade or a nationwide special on television, providing some background information on what Veterans Day is really about." 
--Lidia Diaz, NLU student veteran and President of Student Veterans of America Chapter of NLU

Keeping this student’s perspective in mind, we’d like to recognize one of our military heroes and spotlight Medal of Honor Recipient Allen Lynch, who also is a member of the NLU Veterans Program Advisory Council and serves as President of the Allen J. Lynch Medal of Honor Foundation. The foundation provides stop-gap funding so that veterans are capable of continuing their recovery or education process. Allen Lynch received the Medal of Honor in 1970 for his bravery in rescuing and protecting three of his wounded comrades during a firefight near My An in South Vietnam. This recognition of his bravery and selflessness on that day was the catalyst for a life of service to others. Allen has spent his time since aiding his fellow veterans with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as well as the Illinois Department of Veterans’ Affairs. In Vietnam he served in the U.S. Army with Company D, 1st Battalion of the 12th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). He later served with the U.S. Army Reserve and the Illinois National Guard until reaching mandatory retirement. Learn more about Allen Lynch and his service to our country in a recent Lake County News-Sun article.

To note, a Student Veterans of America (SVA) movie night event will be held in the campus atrium today, Nov. 11 from 4 to 7 p.m. The feature movie will be “Act of Valor.” All are welcome to attend.

One comment on “What does Veterans Day mean to you?

1. As a veteran serving during a very turbulent time in our modern U.S. history I would say what most Vietnam era vets most appreciate is for someone to welcome them home and thank them for their service. I think I speak for most veterans when I say we are thankful for how our new veterans are being remembered and honored. But be sure not to forget the vets from the earlier Gulf war and the poor vets from the Korean war who are so often forgotten.