Meet Johnnie Gaskew, NLU’s new student blogger

Johnnie Gaskew 3Rudyard Kipling’s quote, “Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind,” eloquently summarizes how I feel about written expression. It is truly a gift to be able to uniquely and creatively arrange words on paper that can be life-changing to others. To possess the amazing talent of authoring work that captivates, inspires, motivates and encourage others is simply phenomenal. Words are powerful.

Hello, my name is Johnnie A. Gaskew. Currently, I am enrolled in the Master’s of Science in Written Communication (MSWC) program here at National Louis University.

For as long as I can remember, I have always been very passionate about writing. I journal often and for years, I have written poetry, short stories, plays, skits, non-fiction, fiction, tributes, etc. I have three-ring binders and spiral notebooks full of ideas, outlines and sketches of work that I am looking forward to seeing published in the near future.

My family, friends and colleagues have always encouraged me to pursue a writing career. I also received several compliments from my professors about my writing skills when I was in the Applied Behavioral Sciences program. These frequently expressed compliments inspired me even the more to pursue my professional writing career, which is something that I have longed to do for a very long time. After spending time in prayer and thoroughly reviewing the curriculum, I eagerly enrolled in the MSWC program.

While I believe that I have good writing skills, I know that I can definitely hone in on those skills to become a much better writer. Perfecting my ability to write well greatly enhances my opportunities for gainful employment. My reasons for being in the MSWC program are two-fold, as it is to enhance my opportunities for employment and fulfill my professional and personal growth.

Being in the MSWC program is rather intense. Writing is time consuming, but I also find it rewarding. I spend a lot of time writing and rewriting assignments. Writing is definitely a craft. Through hard work, research and critiques, I am learning how to produce some excellent writing pieces. It takes time and patience to craft an interesting article, author a book, write poetry, and produce skits and plays if you want to be considered a serious writer. I desire to produce quality writings of substance. I take writing seriously, and I believe by mastering my classes, I will be in a good place to obtain success.

Now, as I read, which is one of my favorite hobbies, I read and critique in a different manner. I apply all of the techniques that I am learning in class to my own writing and use this knowledge to analyze the writings of others.

The MSWC program is vital in helping me launch my professional writing career. It is instrumental in assisting me in authoring best-sellers and having some of my work produced for the big screen and on Broadway. Once I complete this program, I will be pursuing a Ph.D. in writing.

2 comments on “Meet Johnnie Gaskew, NLU’s new student blogger

1. Hi Johnnie, thank you for the insight into the road you are traveling, and where you intend it to take you. I am also enrolled in the ABS program and would love to write books that help Early Childhood Educators. You have helped me to renew that vision and think more clearly about the path I need to take. I look forward to reading your blog!

2. Hello Jdemullet, thank you for reading my post. Writing books to help Early Childhood Educators is great and there are an abundance of resources that can help you accomplish that goal. I wish you much success. Thank you for reading my post.