Categories & Search ↓

FAQs for Student Veterans

shutterstock_100193363If you’re a military veteran thinking about starting or returning to college, you likely have many questions –- and might not know where to begin. National Louis University’s Veterans Program has made this step a bit easier for you by sharing a list of many frequently asked questions we receive from student veterans. This is the first of a few FAQ posts, so stay tuned for more!

How do I start my educational benefits?

Follow the steps on the Veterans Benefits page. For information about the types of educational benefits for which you may qualify, check out the Department of Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits page.

How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated?

New applicants should expect to receive their first check 8–12 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent. You will be paid retroactively from the first day of class. Continuing students should receive checks more quickly, provided there have not been any changes to your program. If you’re an NLU student, it is imperative that you notify the NLU VA Certifying Official about any changes that would affect your benefits.

Are my VA educational benefits taxable?

No. Any veterans benefits paid under any law administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) should not be reported as income to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

What happens to my benefits as a result of being called back to active duty for deployment?

In most cases, your benefits will continue upon your return. If you’re an NLU student, please contact the Director of Armed Service Relations for more information.

How do I verify my monthly enrollment for educational benefits?

Everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30) benefits, as well as those in the Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and REAP (Chapter 1607), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll free interactive voice response telephone line at 877.823.2378. Note that students using Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits do not need to verify their enrollment with the VA. The VA Certifying Official will submit certification. 

Are there any academic standards I must maintain to keep my VA educational benefits?

Students must adhere to the academic standards policy of their particular university. Students will be terminated for VA purposes if academically suspended. NLU notifies the VA within 30 days of any change in status or failure to meet satisfactory progress.

Do I have to attend full time to receive my educational benefits?

No. But the amount of benefits you receive is directly proportional to the number of credits you take, with the exception of the Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill. 

How do I find out if I have any benefits left?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 888.442.4551.