Recently we talked with JoAnn Fisher, Department Commander, Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Department District of Columbia, NLU alumna and a member of National Louis University’s Veterans Program Advisory Council. She shared interesting statistics about the DAV, as well as resources for disabled veterans.
According to the National Center for Veterans Analysis and Statistics, in 2012 more than 3.5 million U.S. military veterans had a service-connected disability. This number has greatly increased since 1986, when there were approximately 2.3 million veterans with service-connected disabilities. With a significant number of current disabled veterans, it is important that this population knows what resources are available to them and how to access them.
In Illinois, the Disabled American Veterans (DAV) is one of many veteran service organizations that helps veterans of all ages by ensuring that they and their families can access the full range of benefits available to them. The DAV assists veterans with filing claims for service-connected injuries during time on active duty to education, hospitalization, etc. The following is a more in-depth list of services provided by the DAV:
- Free, professional assistance to veterans and their families in obtaining benefits and services earned through military service and provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and other agencies of government
- Outreach concerning its program services to the American people generally and to disabled veterans and their families specifically
- Represents the interests of disabled veterans, their families, their widowed spouses and their orphans before federal, state and local government
- Extends DAV’s mission of hope into the communities where these veterans and their families live through a network of state-level departments and local chapters
- Provides a structure through which disabled veterans can share their compassion for their fellow veterans in a variety of volunteer programs
Click on the following links to learn more about who is eligible to join the DAV, the benefits of membership and the Illinois National Service office location. If you’re a veteran attending National Louis University and have questions about services available to you, please contact Paul Knudtson, Director of Armed Services Relations.