Fostering a child’s dream to learn

shutterstock_69781339In my February blog, I shared and reflected on how my childhood memories of my parents pursuing their education played a critical role in my love of learning and my career choices. Now that I am a parent, I feel the significance of my child’s education and the significance to build a life for my child that centers on education. I recognize that my family has a fortunate advantage due to my career choice; however, this does not lift the weight of importance in each of our roles to educate our children.

NLU holds a critical position in educating our next generation of teachers, the teachers that will shape my daughter’s education. My department is focused on the need to motivate young students to acquire skills and strive towards higher learning. We have partnered with a Hanover Park Middle School where students are doing a research project on colleges and universities. Through this project, each student will select a college and learn everything they can about the institution. Their project will culminate in a college fair where each student will recruit for their chosen college. NLU is providing these students with supplies, NLU gear and information. Through our partnership, we will foster students’ motivation to pursue higher education in this township middle school.

Our student organizations are also focused on the education of our children. The week of April 7 is the Week of the Young Child, and the NLU student chapter of the Chicago Metropolitan Association for the Education of Young Children has planned a significant event, central to our children and the importance of reading.  Many activities are planned for this week, including a book drive, story times and a “Boogie for Books” dance event.

I share these two opportunities to demonstrate how easy it is to make a small impact and foster a child’s love of learning. The significance I feel for my own daughters’ education motivates me to help the larger community, sharing the importance education will play in one’s live and their future.

How will you share your experience and motivate our children to learn and dream for higher education opportunities?

Danielle Laban

About Danielle Laban

Danielle is the Director of Student Experience at National Louis. She's an experienced student affairs professional who is focused on student success. Danielle earned her Bachelor of Arts at the University of Northern Colorado and her Master of Arts at Roosevelt University.