Alum Will Lead Sherwin-Williams, An $11 Billion Company John Morikis will become CEO of the paint company on Jan. 1

-fca6d470ec7e5265Sherwin-Williams Co., a Cleveland-based paint manufacturer and retailer, has named John G. Morikis, 52, its ninth CEO, according to Cleveland.com.  Morikis, a native of Lake Station, Indiana, attained his M.S. in Management and Development of Human Resources from National Louis University in 1989.

Morikis started as a management trainee in the company’s Paint Stores division in 1984, and worked his way up. He has been president and COO since 2006 at Sherwin-Williams, which was founded in 1866–exactly 20 years before NLU’s founding in 1886.

Of the fact he rose through the ranks, Morikis said, “I think that gives me terrific perspective. I’m not asking anyone in the company to do anything I haven’t done.”

During Morikis’ nine years as president and COO,  the company grew from $7.8 billion to more than $11 billion in revenues last year. The company has 4,100 stores in North America and 5,000 employees.

For details, see reporter Janet H. Cho’s article for The Cleveland Plain Dealer.

To learn more about NLU’s M.S. in Human Resources Management and Development, click here.