Alum of Written Communication Is Teaching, Published in Jet, Ebony, Jane Keeping you up to date with what NLU alumni are doing in their fields

Zainab Karim, M.S., graduated from National Louis University’s Master of Science in Written Communication program and is now teaching at the college level and doing freelance writing.

Zainab Karim, who graduated from National Louis University’s Master of Science in Written Communication program in 2015,  is a professor of English and Psychology and a freelance writer. Her articles and short stories have been published in Jet Magazine, Ebony, XO, Jane, Revelist, Abernathy Magazine and The Liberty Project, to name a few. Below, Zainab shares a bit about her journey in the Master of Science in Written Communication program.

Q: Did you have a concentration and goal for completing the program?

A: Yes, I wanted to become a novelist. My master’s thesis was the beginning of a novel that I am still working on. I also wanted to be a freelance writer, which is a goal I was able accomplish after I graduated.

Q: What is your current job title?

A: I am an English and College Success adjunct professor at Harold Washington College. I am also a freelance writer.

Q: How has the program contributed to your personal/career goals and success?

A: The MS in Written Communication was the catalyst for change in my life. I came into the program with little confidence about writing. Throughout my time in the program I gained much confidence in my writing and in pursuing writing as a career.

Q: What advice would you give new entrants to the program?

A: Believe in your abilities. You voice is important and needed.

Q: What are some of your other recent accomplishments and publications?

A: Mostly recently I have taken a full-time position teaching English and British Literature for Urban Prep Academy. In June, I also received a Master’s Degree in Psychology, so I am also a Psychology contributing faculty member at Kendall College.

Find out more about NLU’s Master of Science in Written Communication program.