Alum Receives Fulbright Award To Teach English in Algeria Kennan Daoudi, M.A.T. 2015, will be helping to build cultural connections

Kennan Daoudi

Kennan Daoudi ’15, who received his Master of Arts in Teaching from National Louis University, received a Fulbright award to teach English in Algeria.

Congratulations to National Louis University alum Kennan Daoudi, M.A.T. ’15, whose love of teaching, foreign languages and international cultures is taking him far.

Daoudi, 27, received a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Award through the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.  He will be working with local teachers in Algiers, Algeria at its polytechnic school helping Algerian university students improve their English. His mission also includes strengthening cultural connections between the U.S. and Algerian people.  

After earning his bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, with a minor in French, at Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota in 2013, Daoudi taught high school students in France through a French government program. He also chaperoned high school students on travel to Costa Rica and Tanzania and taught about biology and conservation to PreK through fourth-grade children at a Lincoln Park Zoo camp, among other things.

In Fall 2015, he started the Master of Arts in Teaching program at National Louis University, earning endorsements in French, Political Science, and English as a Second Language. As part of his program, he student-taught French at Chicago’s Carl Schurz High School.

“The NLU M.A.T. program helped me realize how to be more practical and systematic as an educator,” Daoudi said.  “The program helped me understand where I could improve as a teacher (and dealing with young people in general) and also what I was doing right.

“I learned some great techniques and strategies from my professors and my peers. Most importantly (in my opinion) was that the program helped me build a self-awareness of my own teaching style and its strengths and challenges. The program helped me analyze my own teaching and to better reflect on why a certain lesson or activity did or didn’t work and how it could be improved. The professors were always ready to provide feedback and made themselves very available for consultation.”

After earning his M.A.T. from National Louis, Daoudi worked at a Minneapolis after-school program which partners with Minnesota pro sports teams to bring a sports-based math and socio-emotional learning curriculum to 4-8th graders in Minneapolis/St.Paul. He returned to Chicago and again taught young children at a Lincoln Park Zoo program. He spent the past academic year teaching English at the Center for Language and Culture in Marrakech, Morocco, returning to Chicago two months ago. He will be spending 10 months in Algeria on the Fulbright.

The Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Award is issued through the Fulbright U.S. Student program. It is distinct from the Fulbright Scholar award, which is reserved for professors who are experts in their fields.

Learn more about NLU’s Master of Arts in Teaching program.