Alum Halle Rubin Named Early Childhood Educator of Year She's hailed for making teachers, staff, parents, kids feel valued and heard

It’s clear now that Halle Rubin, who earned her M.Ed. in Early Childhood Administration from National Louis  University in 2016, was never meant to sell janitorial supplies to schools.

Rubin, who recently won the 2018 Early Childhood Educator of the Year Award,  took that sales job after she got her bachelor’s degree, but after just three weeks, she realized she loved interacting with the kids in the schools. Selling chemicals, not so much.

Rubin told The Preschool Podcast the story of coming to the realization that she wanted to become a teacher. It’s a podcast from HiMama, a software company for the early childhood education field.

‘Best decision I ever made’

“So I, instead of getting another bachelor’s degree, I was like, ‘Let’s go for it. Let’s go get my master’s.’ And I decided to enroll in National Louis University, and I graduated with my Master’s in Early Childhood Administration. It was the best decision I ever made and I’m so, so happy with the career that I chose,” she said on the podcast.

She taught two-year-olds and pre-schoolers, and then was asked to become assistant director at the center where she worked.

‘Cannot stress how much she does for us’

Kinga Tomczyk, a teacher at the school, wrote this about Rubin in nominating her for the award: “Each and every day, Ms. Halle radiates with love and passion for the field. Not only does she work long, and stressful hours, but comes in on weekends and holidays to make sure all of her classrooms sparkle, teachers have the right materials to make their lesson plans come to life, and to ensure the school is looking its best.

“Even after receiving her Master’s, Halle continues to further her knowledge in the field so that she can share her knowledge with her staff. She pushes her staff to think in different ways and challenges themselves as educators, but also finds ways to be comforting and supportive to the personal needs we each have. I cannot stress how much Ms. Halle does for us. She has only been our Director for 9 months, and to many of us, she has become our angel of inspiration, ultimate support, and light of positivity.”

The Early Childhood Educator Award received 111 nominations for the 2018 award from around the globe. The public voted to whittle them down to 10 nominees, and experts from the Buffett Early Childhood Fund, Zero to Three, Child Care Aware America and other esteemed organizations selected Rubin as the winner.

Hear Halle Rubin on The Preschool Podcast

Learn more about National Louis University’s Master’s in Education programs