How a BABA Complements a Marketing Career

This is the first in a series of guest blog posts by NLU alumni, who will be discussing an array of topics based on their current professional roles, hobbies, and passions.

A BABA (Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration) is valuable in many areas of business, including sales, marketing, customer service, accounting, HR, ICT, and admin. 

I have found it particularly helpful in my career as a marketer. 

Having this degree has made me a well-rounded marketer, and it has opened up a lot of new opportunities for me over the years. 

In this article, I want to share with you the different ways a BABA compliments a marketing career. 

But first, here are a few advantages that come with having a BABA

• Having a degree in business administration opens up loads of job opportunities for you, particularly in the marketing arena. There are lots of organizations that need people with those sets of skills. 
  • With this degree, you will have increased confidence in developing interpersonal skills. It makes it easier for you to work with your team or network as a marketer. From group projects to fundraising, and more, you will be able to confidently deal with people in your line of work. 
  • As a marketer, you use computers, tablets, and mobile phones daily to send emails, run websites, make video calls, and more. All of these tasks call for strong ICT skills and a BABA degree also helps you gain the knowledge needed to use the most up-to-date information communication technology packages. 

How my Career Has Evolved

I was in sales for over 7 years and eventually found my way to marketing when I was let go from my sales job during the 08’ recession. 

Having a BABA turned out to be my saving grace. 

One thing I found was that once qualified, I had a massive range of skills that allowed me to excel in different areas of marketing.

My degree helped me get vast and diverse professional experiences in Internet Marketing, including: 

• SEO 
  • SEM
  • PPC
  • Affiliate Marketing
  • Google Analytics
  • Marketing Strategy
  • Marketing Research
  • Social Media
  • Link Building

… and more. 

In addition to that, I have developed and taught Online Marketing courses at the collegiate level. I also have experience in the Information Technology, Education, Agency, Healthcare, Heavy Machinery, and Vitamin/Supplement industries.

These are all things that came about thanks to skills that I wouldn’t have without my degree in business administration. 

Today, I am considered by many to be an expert in the internet marketing field, thanks to my results-oriented approach to all my marketing activities. 

I have gained a broad knowledge foundation in business administration. Having this degree has improved my communication and helped me become a good team player. 

I’ve also learned how to exploit my creativity, as well as how to deliver exceptional value and help people with things I care about.  

I’ve even been able to use a number of online course platforms to develop courses of my own to help students understand more about digital marketing as a whole.  

These are just a few of the ways that a BABA degree can help you, too. 

Importance of Being a Well-Rounded Employee

The definition of a well-rounded employee is someone who is skilled and knowledgeable in a wide range of areas. They are very capable in many different subjects, and they have a great attitude. 

They take initiative and responsibility, and they have great communication skills. They are also disciplined, reliable, and have a strong work ethic.   

These are characteristics that we strive for as professionals, and a BABA qualification will help you achieve all of them and more. 

But why is it important to be a well-rounded employee? 

Being a Well-Rounded Employee Helps You

When you’re a well-rounded employee, you’ll become a lot more self-sufficient. You will be able to handle a lot of situations on your own that others need help with. This also means that you’ll likely be able to lend a hand to your colleagues in most situations.

It Also Helps Your Company

As a well-rounded individual, you stand out from one-dimensional employees that don’t have the necessary skills and capabilities to help take the company to the next level. This makes it more likely that you will be rewarded well for your innovation. 

Finally, It Helps Everyone

Yet another reason why it’s important to be a well-rounded employee is that it allows you to relate more to people and become a great team player – which in itself, is a worthwhile goal. But, you also get the added benefit of being able to advance your career even more quickly when you have great interpersonal relationship skills. 

How a BABA Prepared Me for My Marketing Career

Improved My Networking Skills

My career began as a Small/Medium Business Account Executive in 2007. I landed the job thanks to the networking skills that I learned while getting my BABA. Although I was let go during the recession in 2008, my knowledge and skills helped me find another job soon after that. 

Introduced me to Different Tools

Part of my BABA included a lot of education around different tools that I would use professionally.  I recall learning quite a bit about Microsoft products which was extremely helpful, and then studied on my own to learn about other tools that I needed to succeed.  For instance, I decided to focus on YouTube for my business and part of that is editing videos.  After choosing an editing tool and learning a lot, this eventually lead to a post about youtube editing tools to help others.  Now, this post brings traffic to my website and is a great way to market my expertise.

Increased Marketing Demand

In 2009, I got a job as an Internet Marketing Coordinator. This was thanks to my BABA which gave me a major advantage over the other candidates applying for the same job who either didn’t have a degree or who had less marketable degrees. 

Alternate Career Paths

My degree in business administration helped me immensely and gave me a definite advantage when it came time to shift careers.  Pairing the BABA with an MBA, I started to work at the National Louis University, where I’m currently employed as an Adjunct Professor. 

Broader Knowledge Base

Thanks to my BABA, I have gained a massive knowledge base in business administration. This has allowed me to become an online entrepreneur and start my own successful online business where I manage a portfolio of websites and teach other entrepreneurs how to succeed online.

As an example, I recently put together a post explaining the process of starting a music blog and I’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback from it and have already helped a number of other people start their own websites using the guide.  

This makes my work both gratifying and profitable, and there is no way I would have gotten here without a BABA.  

(Source)

Summary

It makes sense to look at the pros and cons when you are weighing the odds of your future career. But with a BABA, you only get advantages that will propel you to your future success. 

This degree is a great choice for anyone thinking of a career in business, marketing, sales, HR, customer service, accounting, ICT, admin, and many other areas. 

If you are ready to take the next step toward earning your degree in business administration, why not choose National Louis University? Contact us directly to find out more about our exciting career opportunities. 

(Source)

Ron Stefanski is an online entrepreneur and marketing professor at National Louis University who has a passion for helping people create and market their own online business.  You can learn more from him by visiting OneHourProfessor.com 
You can also connect with him on YouTube or Linkedin.