Alumni Spotlight

Alumni Spotlight Series features interviews with the graduates from various colleges of National Louis University.

Let’s start off with who are you and what do you do?

My name is Stephanie Indianer and I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I am a mental health therapist at  Astute Counseling Services, a mental health private practice in Lakeview, Chicago. After attending Michigan State University for my undergraduate degree, I earned my Master’s of Arts in Teaching at National Louis University while completing the AmeriCorps Program, Teach for America. My work as a Special Education Teacher and my experiences at NLU prompted me to then earn my Master’s in Social Work Degree from the University of Michigan. Prior to working at Astute Counseling Services, I was a School Social Worker. 

What do you like most about your current role?

I enjoy supporting patients in many different areas including  anxiety, depression, trauma, grief and loss, self esteem, school and work stress management, positive coping skills, interpersonal relationships, and life transitions.

How did you get to where you are? Anything you would do differently?

With support from my family and friends and a strong work ethic, I was able to get to where I am today. Reflecting back on my experiences, I do not think that I would do anything differently. 

How has NLU impacted how you approach your career?

NLU impacted my career through the lessons I learned about collaboration, stress management, and resilience.  While I was a student at NLU, I was also teaching full time. Through this experience, I learned a lot about time management and having a hard work ethic. In addition, the courses also provided me the opportunity to think critically about the education system.  

Is there any advice you’d like to give young alumni in their search for career and live goals?

Some advice I would give to young alumni would be to learn how to manage time, and ask for advice and help when needed.  If you need additional support, reach out to your community,  professors, and classmates. If Alumni or current students are interested in seeking therapy, they can also reach out to me for support by emailing stephanie@astutecounseling.com or visiting the website at https://astutecounseling.com/

If you or someone you know would like to be featured as an alumni spotlight, please reach out to Manager of Alumni Engagement and Communications, Nagieh, at nomer@nl.edu.